Thursday 5 January 2012

A racist, a troublesome guy or a lively player – Who is Liverpool’s Luis Suarez?

A racist, a troublesome guy or a lively player – Who is Liverpool’s Luis Suarez?
By Angela Asante, January 5 2012,

soccer news, football news, football articles, football articles

There is only one Luis Suarez in England but football fans with different opinions have their own version of what the Uruguayan striker’s personality really is like.Sandra Diaz, Luis Suarez’s mother, claims to know the 24-year-old better than anyone in the world. The Montevideo inhabitant spoke to the press on Wednesday as she came in defense of her accused son, saying:


“I laugh when they call my son racist. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm afraid now when he comes up against a black person, especially because they're going to go looking for him.“I know my son. I know he has to calm down a bit with things like the salute he made to rival fans. But he's no racist.”Others believe that this race row, marked by the alleged use of the word “negro” or “negrito”, is the result of cultural misunderstanding.“I am very upset by the things said about me, all very far from the truth. In my country, 'negro' is a word which doesn't show any lack of respect and is even less so a form of racist abuse,” Luis Suarez reportedly told the press as the issue circulated rapidly in the media.

“I'll carry out the suspension with the resignation of someone who has done nothing wrong.”The accused player claims to have done nothing wrong, but the FA’s 115-page report reveals otherwise. According to the linguistic experts used by the FA, Suarez said “porque tu eres negro” in Spanish, which means “because you are black”, when Patrice Evra asked him why he had been fouled.In reply, the Manchester United defender allegedly threatened to punch Suarez if he reiterated the statement. The Uruguayan eventually responded by saying “no hablo con los negros”, which means “I don’t speak to blacks”.

No comments:

Post a Comment